Friday, December 10, 2004

Big Week for Charlie!

Wow, this has just been such a big week for the wee one, I can hardly stand it. On most levels, I am proud and excited for him, but there are a few lurking feelings of sadness. And I am still hoping to have another one! I can't imagine if I thought that this would be the last time that I would see one of my children doing things for the last time.

Anyway, first up was that the big guy rolled over! Yup, on Tuesday night. Daddy was out of town for work (as he always tends to be for these big moments...Wonder if they are guilt-tripping him!) and so bathtime was a little crazy for me! Charlie was awake and kinda fussing, so I laid him in his crib, on his tummy, thinking that that might entertain him for a bit. (Jack was in the tub.) Anyway, when I went to check on him, he was half rolled over already, trying to look/grab at his mobile! It was like a slow-motion roll. He finished it soon after, and I got quite misty-eyed, I say. And nope, he hasn't done it since.

Then, yesterday was his first experience with solids! Now this has been a hard one for me. I am so proud that he is nursing well, since it didn't go well with Jack, and I have been reluctant (i.e. scared) to mess with it. Plus, I love looking at his big boy-ness and knowing that it all came from me! But he was waking in the night a LOT, and there is new evidence that starting more like 5 months is ok for allergies, and add to that that I worry if I wait too long, he will not like textures and become picky (yes yes, too much time on my hands), so I bit the bullet. And he liked it! I made him homemade rice cereal, which I like the consistency of better, and then mixed it with the breastmilk, and it went good. It is hard to remember how to do this all, though. But Charlie seemed to like it, and today when he had his dollop, he opened his mouth big and wide! Such a sweetie. It didn't help so much with the sleeping thing (more on that in a sec), but I think it was the right decision. Plus, after his first feeding, he was gagging for some boobie, and as he was eating, I thought "nope, not any different than yesterday".

And last big milestone is teething, me thinks. I think that is why he is getting up SO MUCH in the night. He has been really fussy lately, is not ready for a huge poop, so I doubt it is that, and I put some oragel on his gums and he seemed happier. Then some Tylenol, and he was great. Plus, when he isn't fussy and waking up all night, he sleeps. A lot. So, I think it is teething. My plan is at the first fuss tonight, douse him with Tylenol and see how that goes. Cross your fingers. I am such a wicked woman right now, with 4 nights of about 2 hours of sleep (well, uniterrupted, and then little catnaps after that) and I just feel dead. But this new milestone is pretty sad as well. My little guy with teeth! I definately have to have one more kid. There is no way that I am ready to be done with all of this. No sleep or not.

No comments: