Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Surgery

So, Jack had his hernia surgery on Saturday. I knew it wouldn't be a big deal (it was outpatient!) and that he would bounce back quickly, but I really wish someone had told me the WHOLE story!

First off, here were my main worries:
  1. The poor little guy would come out of surgery and go into a recovery room and I was worried that he would be scared without us.
  2. That he would be in pain for a few days afterwards and it would be heartbreaking.
  3. He couldn't eat or drink before, and since his first word every morning is "EAT", well, we thought it would be a loooooooong hour before surgery.
  4. Ok, yes, I was a little scared that something disasterous would happen and he would die. Took him to the park on Thur, just in case. Bought him lovely ice cream for his dessert (the night before), just in case. You see where I am going here.

Well, none of those came to fruition, which is wicked. We were there at 6:30 (plucked the little man out of the bed and threw him in the car), and he was great with everyone. Really sweet and charming the pants off of everyone. He read some books with Daddy, got his little wristband thingy, even Rufus got one, and then he took a Valium-like cocktail. He was so cute taking that; he wanted more. Tickled the nurse to no end, since apparently it is kind of bitter. He proceeded to get so funny, acting almost drunk-like. He sang some, drooled a bit, and continued to read books, just couldn't hold his head up. Shortly after the cocktail took effect, they came and whisked him away. But they were so great, because one of the nurses actually carried him. No stretchers, no walking (not sure he could have walked with all of the drugs) and no wheelchair. I went to the bathroom after they left, and I saw them turn a corner and heard them laughing at something he said. So I knew he was in good hands.

Now, keep in mind here, I am pregnant. Wish I wasn't, just for those hours, because I was very emotional! I cried in the car on the way and after they took Jack. Chad and I went to search for some food while he started surgery, and I stopped off in the beautiful chapel. It was stunning, they had these two floor to ceiling water fountains, which are what drew me in. I had a little weep for my guy, praying my guy would make it through ok, and I could see Chad looking for me, so I went out. Poor Chad, wondering how to deal with me! But the crying jag was over, and we had some food. We had a half an hour to wander around and then they wanted us back in the room.

We went back, I did a little Sudoku and listened to my iPod, Chad read the paper. Before we knew it, the surgeon came back to say he was done and it was great. Seriously, it was such a simple procedure that that was really all he had to say!!! A few minutes later came little Jack on a gurney. He started to cry when he realized we were there, and I gather that he had a little cry in the recovery room, too. Apparently that is pretty common with the anesthesia. Chad lifted him up and that is when Jack noticed the IV. Oh nelly, he hated that thing! We got some juice in him (between cries) and some cookies and crackers so that we could take it out. Poor kid pretty much cried and said "pull out, Daddy" the whole time.

The anesthesia wore off soon-ish after that and we could go home! Jack was back to normal, he just couldn't stand or walk because of the anesthesia they put in that works like an epidural (no idea what they called it). We got in the car, and he said he wanted to go to Grandpa's (I think he was jealous that Charlie was hogging them to himself) and didn't want to go to the new house, so we went to my ILs house. Jack kept trying to walk while we were there, and still couldn't very well. A couple times he fell over because of it, but he was FINE otherwise. No pain, not tire, NOTHING.

We left their house around 11:30. Got home, had some lunch, and they took a nap. Charlie napped for 3 hours, Jack just an hour and a half!!! He watched some movies, but seemed fine (he walked fine by then). Maya and Ryan and the kids stopped by around 3:30, and he spent an hour or two running around with his cousins!!!!! I am serious, it was so shocking! You wouldn't have known he had just had surgery.

No comments: