Tuesday, June 28, 2005

If Today Were Your Last

I have been thinking for a week about this subject. I think about it often, in fact. I am totally going to paraphrase all of this part here, since I don't know how to link. But, on one of the blogs I read, this person linked to a recent graduation speech given by Apple's big dude, Steve Jobs. In it, he said something about living each day as if it could be your last. No wait. More like, at the end of the day, take stock. If it was to be your last day, would you be happy about it? Was it a good day? And he said that when he gets a few in a row where he says no to those questions, he makes a change. I found this profound.

Now, granted, he has bajillions of dollars, and can do things like that. Change on a whim, I mean. But I really like his premise. And far from needing/wanting to change my life, I am finding that I am appreciating it more and trying to enjoy moments more, instead of just working for the weekend. For me, it is fairly easy to start these kinds of things, but usually after a couple of days, it all fades away and I start to try to fast forward my life. But so far, this is really haunting me (in a good way).

Take today, for example. An absolutely nothing really special day, but a good one nonetheless. We are having some diaper rash problems as of late (the boys, of course, not me!) and so there is some harriness as a result. The boys spent half the day diaper and short-less, just to try and air them out. But it was really cute! I don't know, maybe it is a Mom thing, or maybe just a me thing, but I got a kick out of it.

It has also been one of the few days where we didn't run off somewhere. In typical Jack fashion, around 9 am he said "Store?". I told him no, that we were staying at home today. Poor little guy, I guess he just likes to get out and about.

Charlie didn't take an afternoon nap, what with the butt problem and an impending tooth, but he wasn't really fussy, he was quite adorable. I played a little game with him, where I would put a leggo on his head, and it would fall off and he laughed, rinse, lather, repeat. It was so cute, and if I wasn't fast enough, he would try to do it himself. I love those little moments with him.

And Jack took a bath with minimal screaming. M&Ms really are magical.

Chad is playing golf tonight, so I get a little time to myself. Probably will spend it watching HGTV, rather than anything productive, but hey, it is me time.

So, like I said, nothing spectacular, or even out of the ordinary. But I guess that is what makes it a good day.

No comments: