Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Something to Remember

Today was one of those days that I dreamt about when I pictured my life as a stay-at-home Mom. It was only a couple of hours that were completely picturesque, I was still frustrated with the whining this morning, but the afternoon made up for that and more.

My sister and her friend stopped by during naptime. In total Charlie fashion, he awoke soon after they arrived, but he was in a good mood. Jack woke up just as they were leaving, about an hour sooner than he usually did. The weather was gorgeous, 80 degrees, sunny and a little bit muggy. Perfect sprinkler weather, I thought. So I got the kids into their swimsuits, lubed up with sunblock (those two alone were huge jobs!) and got everything set up outside. I even remembered the camera and video camera.

Anyway, the kids really liked the sprinkler. I got the first couple of minutes of Jack discovering it. He kept running near it (of course not IN IT) and yelling "it tickles!!!". It was so cute and so funny. He was running around like a madman. Charlie was off in his own world, so I brought him over and sat him nearby. Just like my little man, he crawled over the the sprinkler and stuck his hand in, unafraid. So different are my little dudes. Charlie was often sprayed by the sprinkler and didn't seem to mind, but did crawl away. Meanwhile, Jack kept getting the tiniest bit braver with each run through, and his hair was wet and he was laughing and so sweet. It was so wonderful.

My next bright idea was to get the kiddy pool. Ours is nice because it is smaller than most, so it is so easy to maneuver. I filled it with an inch or two of water, and Jack hopped right in. He kept calling it a tub, and would call it a pool once in awhile. Charlie didn't want to sit in it, it was too cold, but he was totally happy to sit and splash from the side. Jack was wearing his water shoes, so he had great traction, which he used to jump and splash all over. At one point, he kept sticking his face in and taking a drink. Everytime, it would take his breath away, but he never cried or got upset, no matter how much of his head he stuck in. He was so cute, they both were.

Other little fun things were: Charlie climbed the steps (ok, not fun, per se, since they are concrete, but that was his first stairclimbing activity EVER), we found a worm and watched it burrow back into some soil (Jack even left it alone!!!), they ate ice pops (whatever those tube things are with flavored water inside) and loved it. It was only 2 hours before we came back in, but it was lovely. I even got some sun and reading in for myself. Lovely day.

No comments: