Thursday, September 30, 2004

Sleepless in St. Paul

Jack has always been a great sleeper. When he was a newborn, he slept wherever we put him, didn't matter location, noise or temperature. He napped great, he slept great at night, except it took him a long time to sleep through the night. Up until now, he has still been taking two naps a day, for around an hour, hour and a half each.

It seems that he is now ready to drop one of those naps. It is hard to know, though! One day he seems ok without it (he does go to bed for the night earlier, though) and the next he seems to need two. But it is starting to be more and more frequent that the afternoon nap does not take place. These are the days I have been dreading!

He went to Grandma and Grandpa's last night, since it was my birthday and Chad and I went out, and they didn't put him down until 8:30! And he didn't have an afternoon nap. Well, Jack always goes down about 7 (not our rule - his!) and without that nap, about 6 or 6:30. It doesn't matter what time he goes to sleep, either, he is always up at 6. So, two hours less sleep last night, and he was ready for his morning nap at 8 this morning (about an hour earlier than normal). He got up about 10, and seemed ready for more sleep a little after noon! So, put him down, but 45 minutes he was still up. So we ran to the store, came home about 1:30, he seemed tired, so tried again. Of course he pooped (the kid LOVES pooping and delaying his naps, I swear) and so I changed him about 2:30, and put him BACK DOWN. He is still up. UGH! I have decided I will give him 5 more minutes (not sure why I bother; I can hear him playing in there) and that will be it. Oh well, that time was nice while it lasted.

Whatever the outcome is, I am still going to give him some "quiet time" every afternoon about 2 for an hour or so. Even if he never sleeps, it kind of revives him nicely. And gives me a break. With winter coming, and therefore no access to the backyard, I will need it!

No comments: