Saturday, October 30, 2004

From My Brain to Charlie's Ears

I swear that boy can hear what I am thinking. There are so many times when I look at the clock and think "Oooh, Charlie has been sleeping almost an hour. I wonder when he will---" and he starts to wail. Or "Oooh, Charlie is quiet! I guess he is aslee---" and he starts to wail. Ah, looking on the bright side, we have a connection. I just wish it didn't interrupt his sleeping! I wonder how long this connection will last?

In other news, my most wonderful friend, Denise (who lost her pregnancy earlier this year) is pregnant! She will be having a mini-Charlie, since her due date is July 7!! I am SO excited for her, and she and her family really deserve this. She is going to have one of those early amnios, at 10 weeks, in case the rare Down Syndrome baby they had last time reoccurs this time. I really am over the moon about this! Especially since she was due two weeks after me (when pregnant with Charlie) and I am always thinking of that poor baby.

Also, my friend, Jenny, who used to live in my neighborhood, now does not. They built a lovely house in the 'burbs, and combine that with her brand-new baby girl, and I am positively green with envy. I want a big, brand-spankin'-new house in the 'burbs (well, a new one, anyway). I want a baby girl! And I seriously doubt that I will ever have either! Ugh. As we were driving around today, I was taking serious digs at my new friend, and my hubby asked me "Do you want to live out there?". No, I replied, I am just jealous! It was hard to admit, but now that I have, I feel a bit better. Because I don't want to be jealous of my friend, and seriously, I have no desire to live out where she does!! Anyway, we were out near there today, and took a drive around, and I felt SO much better. There were lots of Lexus and BMW and Audi vehicles around, and big, pricey homes (admittedly, hers is what she calls a poor relation to those, but they still abound!) and I just really didn't feel like I fit in. I feel like I fit in where we are (despite the uber-liberalism of our neighborhood). I like our old house, and I like living in the house we brought our boys to. And with the basement livable, I feel like we have enough room (for now). Do I want to be a lovely new house? Yes. Soon? Actually, yes, if I could find a place I would be all over it. But we want 1) our kids to go to a Spanish Immersion school 2) to be close enough to Chad's work but not too much farther from my family and 3) Something affordable . Right now, nothing like that exists. So, the plan is to stay put. And I really am happy with that. I love this neighborhood, especially in the fall with all of the beautiful trees. We have a park across the street, which I think will be even better for us next summer. Nice neighbors that I want to hang out with more. Stuff like that. And as for the daughter thing, not a whole lot I can do about that. I do want one more kid, one last try, but Chad isn't fully onboard. So, I am going to pick myself up and dust myself off, before someone mistakes this envy for my Halloween costume!

No comments: