Monday, October 11, 2004

Is Your Oldest Your Favorite?

It seems like people who have more than one kid seem to focus on the first born. There is this journal I read of a woman and her 4 year old son and 1 year old daughter. Most of the posts are about both, but it seems like it really concentrates on the oldest child. And a friend of mine is due any minute with her second, and all she can think about it her first. Her husband is hoping for a daughter (they have a son and don't know the sex of this next one) so that his bond isn't interfered with this next baby. Don't they realize that this is going to be THIER KID? Just like that first one is? Is that first kid so exciting, every new step so wonderful, that the second kid just can't measure up? I just don't get that. I am a pretty big fan of a baby story, and so many people on that show say"I just can't imagine loving this next one as much as I love my first one" or something like that. Why can't you imagine that? I just never got that!

Of course, I am not perfect. I worry that Jack will be more attractive than Charlie, or vice verse. I want them to be equal in all things. But I already find myself creating differences between them, creating their own niches in life. I see Jack as the life of the party. Mr. Popular (but not jerky) and outgoing and gregarious. Much like his Daddy, but without all the unnecessary chatter. And Charlie will be Mr. Serious, College Professor and all that. But really love his Momma and is just a really sweet, quiet guy. Light and day those boys. Or at least that is how it seems so far. Am I creating the people will be, or just insightful so early in the game?

Lastly, the sleep game and my boy, Charlie. It is going ok. We are trying to get him to sleep in our bed. Better, but not great. And only day one.

Sigh.

No comments: