Monday, October 25, 2004

The Perfect Day

Wow, today was one of those days that I hope to never forget. Not that it was all perfect, mind you. Jack still had his cranky toddler moments, still woke up snarky from his nap, and still refused to shower me with kisses and protestations of love, but it was really a lovely day.

To start off, the weather was beautiful. It was one of those gorgeous fall days, the temperature was around 55 but the sun was out and warm. The leaves are right around peak right now, and plenty of them are on the ground, which Jack loves to walk on and kick around. Anyway, I went to visit my friend, Jenny, and her brand-new baby girl, Maya. Seems like ages already since Charlie was that tiny! And, this is so mean of me, but it was nice to see that Jenny, who I try to model after, in terms of how to parent (only I want to be a more relaxed version, but I still think she rocks), was looking tired and had that just had a baby floppy belly (Jenny is an uber-workout person, and her body is always fantastic). And my sister came over to tend to my wee ones, since I wanted to concentrate on saying hello.

Then, my Mom met us over here, to check out my paint job in the hallway, and new things in the basement. We then trudged over to Lindsay's house to see her gorgeous new bathroom (I am gagging to do mine now!). And, since it was so lovely outside, we all decided to go to Como Zoo. Now, Mom had taken Jack (and Charlie) to this two twice this summer (I went with once), but Jack really wasn't interested in the animals. Not today! First thing we saw was the gorillas, and he was entranced! Then we went into the primate house, and he was loving it! Pressing his face and hands up to the glass, and the monkeys would get close, too! He loved it! It was so fun to see! And, when he would come out of his reverie, he would babble, like he was telling us all about it! On to the seals, then the aquarium (loved the big polar bear and Sparky the seal) and lastly, the big cats! He was especially into the cougar. Oh, it was so sweet! And most of the time I had Charlie in the Baby Bjorn, and he kept making little baby noises and giving me sweet looks! Oh, I just fell in love with my boys more than ever! And I breastfed while I was there! Now, I was proud of that, because I never got to that point with Jack (never felt comfortable nursing him, to be honest) and I didn't really give it any thought today, until I was already doing it! That was such a good feeling to me.

It was just a few hours, but it was so fun. And the fact that it is probably the last nice day until next year helped. But now I am excited for things like Story Hour and the Children's Museum! Maybe I will try and do more of that this winter. Gives us something to do, right?

No comments: