Monday, October 18, 2004

Two Peas, Different Pods

I am not sure why, but I always thought that Jack and Charlie would be a lot alike. I am pretty sure it has a lot to do with how close in age they are, and now, that they are both boys, but that totally isn't the case. Now, I realize that they are young yet, and things could completely change, but this is the way I see it right now:

1. This one is pretty obvious: Jack is blonde, Charlie is dark (not sure what color to call it, an auburny-brown, I guess).
2. Jack looks "just like Chad" (everyone says so, anyway) and Charlie is a mini version of my dad (and I look a lot like him).
3. Jack is very outgoing, Charlie is quieter, until he warms up to you, anyway.
4. That sleep thing -- Jack was a great sleeper, still is, Charlie, well, not so good.
5. Jack is very comfortable alone, whereas Charlie doesn't like to be left alone. Could be the age, but I swear Jack was the same as he is now at the same age as Charlie.
6. Jack wasn't great at breastfeeding, but loved the bottle. Charlie -- not so good with a bottle but loves my boobies!
7. Charlie will tolerate being read to (it is too early for me to tell if he likes it or not). Jack always hated it, until just recently (ok, that could be something they have in common).
8. Charlie doesn't sleep in the car, Jack always did!

Ok, that is all I can think of right now. Onto other items!

My friend, Jenny, had her baby today -- a little girl, Maya Grace. I am very happy for them and excited to see her grow up. But a part of me is really jealous. Jenny and her husband didn't want girls (they have a son 3 months younger than Jack), they wanted two boys. But this pregnancy had been so different, they felt that it might be a girl, and were actually looking forward to it being a girl. Anyway, I am really feeling like I will never have that daughter. In fact, I dreamt of it the other night. I dreamt that I was in labor, and scared because it was my last baby, and soon I would know for sure if I would ever have that elusive daughter. Again, I love my boys so much, but I do long for a girl. Chad is still determined to not have any more babies, so who knows what will happen. I just feel really sad about it all right now, I guess.

In other news, I took the boys in for pictures today. For Charlie's 3 month pictures, and then I wanted a couple with the two of them. It was rough! Jack would not cooperate (can anyone say "terrible twos"?) and we only got 2 shots with both of them, both borderline nice, and ended up ordering the better of the two, just because I really wanted one at this age. And Charlie wouldn't smile, big surprise. In the end, we got 2 cute poses (total), but I suppose that is all we needed. And bless Lindsay's heart for going along with me. She really is my best friend.

No comments: